The first and most important point: travelling without a car is something you have to prepare for!
The gates of the massif are accessible from the railway stations of Voiron, Chambéry and Grenoble. From there, several solutions are available to you:
- Rent a car from the gateway towns.
- Take a taxi from the gateway towns
- Carpooling from gateway cities.
- Take public transport. The main ways to get to the massif are as follows:
– the Transisère 7010 line, linking Voiron to Chambéry
– the Transisère 7000 line, linking Grenoble to St Pierre de Chartreuse via St Laurent du Pont
– the Transisère 6550 line, linking Grenoble (La Tronche) to Plateau-des-Petites-Roches
– the Belle Savoie Express C4 line linking Chambéry to St Pierre d’Entremont
– the TAG 62 line, linking Grenoble to Sappey in Chartreuse, or Col de Porte at weekends
There are other routes to the Park’s communes. We advise you to prepare your journey by public transport as well as possible by going to the Region’s route planner site, www.oura.com, which is very well done and provides you with all the information you need to prepare your journey by public transport as well as possible.
Carpool! Several sites : Blablacar or the free carpooling site www.mobicoop.fr/, or the dedicated site for short-distance carpooling in the Region: https://movici.auvergnerhonealpes.fr/
Hitch-hiking: this works very well in our area, especially as we have set up “on-the-go” stops allowing you to access the massif from urban areas. This is the case from the Tronche town hall, easily accessible by public transport from Grenoble, or from Fontanil Cornillon or Cognin.
Take the funicular! If you are travelling to the Plateau des Petites Roches, it is possible to take the funicular to St Hilaire du Touvet from the lower station in Lumbin, itself easily accessible by public transport from the gateway towns.